Wednesday 16 January 2008

Noakes

Goldsmid Place in 1817 from Picturesque Views of Ramsgate

I have decided to put the various local history enquires that I get on this blog with my answers, in the hope that some of you may be able to add information.

Fascinating website I discovered today!
Hi,

I would like some information/photos/prints of the National Provincial Bank Ramsgate in the 1850s. The manager at the time was George Lee. Working for his household was Sarah Ann Noakes, a housemaid. a relative of mine I am trying to find out more about. Do any of your books have info about this bank/household/pictures of Goldsmith Place, St Georges, where I believe the bank was. Does it still exist?

I'me purchasing some books from you which I've guessed might contain some pictures/info about the Goldsmith Place area/Nat Provincial Bank. If I'm wrong please let me know and substitute for a book which does have the info.

Sarah Ann Noakes' home was Udimore, near Rye, in East Sussex. How do you think she would have got to Ramsgate? By train or maybe by boat from Rye?

Any thoughts I would appreciate as I am writing a book about the Noakes family from Udimore.

Ken Noakes.


Ken there is no reference to the name Noakes in any of the Victorian Ramsgate directories that I own (1849, 1878 and 1887 all available form me as reprints) the provincial and National bank is described as being near the pier in the 1849 directory which would be Goldsmid Place.

Bagshaws Kent directory circa 1847 has a Mr john Noakes resident in Hardres Street and the National and Provincial bank Goldsmid Place manager Mt Geo. Lee. It is my intention to do a reprint of the Thanet part of this directory in the not to distant future.

Waterside later early 1700s became East End then Goldsmid Place mid 1800s then Harbour Street then Lower Harbour Street late 1800s then Harbour Parade about.

Hope this is of some help Michael.

5 comments:

  1. Well done you - keeping our history alive. How you even manage to find all this out amazes me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have the email or contact information for Ken Noakes? I too descend from the Noakes of Udimore, and would like to get in touch with him.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ken Noakes's current email is kennoakes77@yahoo.co.uk. I wrote up my family history about the Noakeses of Udimore but there are huge gaps.

      Delete
  3. I would like to get in touch with English Lass to see if we have ancestors in common.

    Send to k.noakes@lineone.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Just came accross this site by accident and noted English Lass and Ken Noakes interested in Noakes from Rye. Would love to be intouch as am desperatly looking for info on Francis Marchall Noakes who lived in Uddimore Rd .
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.