Saturday 12 April 2008

Pleasurama Environment Agency report

During my ongoing discussions about Pleasurama I have today received the Environment Agency’s report to Thanet District Council from the Local Government Ombudsman.

From the rest of the correspondence I gather that this report is now in the public domain, so I have run it through the OCR removed the officer’s names and published it for you all to read.

It would seem to me to be unlikely in view of the report that the builder will be prepared to go ahead with the development without a Flood Risk Assessment.

I quote from the report, “if we were to receive a similar application under the current guidelines, we would require a Flood Risk Assessment (FRA) to identify the risk, look at flood resilient construction and address the issue of safe, dry access. Without this information it is difficult to determine whether the development can be considered “safe” (PPS25 09 The Exception Test).”

Click here to read the rest of it

5 comments:

  1. I note that the letter is dated 8 February 2008 - so TDC have known about this for a couple of months. I wonder how they plan to respond ?

    I like the bit at the end recommending that residents and commercial units should be registered with the 'free flood warning service'. I bet that will impress potential purchasers !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if the same rules apply to the Dreamland site as some it is well below sea level and is included in the Enviroment agencies "at risk"areas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fred I don’t realistically see how they can ignore this as it effects public safety nor do I think that the building would be insurable without a proper flood risk assessment. It’s one thing me saying for the last year that I think the building would be dangerous as it is and a proper flood risk assessment should be made, but it is but quite another when the environment agency say so in writing.

    Anonymous with regard to Dreamland I am told that the same rules apply, and that no residential development would be allowed on the ground floor. However Dreamland is unlikely to be subject to wave action, partly because of the protection afforded it by the harbour arm and the extent of Margate sands, but mainly because it is set so far behind the promenade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DV8 the disco is currently underground on the seafront, nobody has closed it on grounds of serious risk of flooding?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Presumably no insurance company will insure any of the buildings at the Pleasurama site and that should knock a huge hole in the developers' plans. I know someone who tried to buy a flat in the chalk pit at St. Peter's but was told she wouldn't get insurance due to concerns over the whole site.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.