Monday 14 July 2008

Thanet Farms Archive

Thanet Farms Archive was formed in the Autumn of 2006, by Alan and Anita Hardcastle of Birchington, to assist in the preservation of the farming heritage of the Isle of Thanet. It draws on Alan's experience as a local historian in Croydon, and his experience as having served as Archivist and Trustee of The British Ancestors in India Society; and was founded in response to the ever increasing encrouchment of urban development on the Isles farm land.

The archive collates material from private sources, and has a programme of interviewing those once connected to local agricultural industries. In addition it has a collection of 18th- early 20th century agricultural hand tools from throughout the world, and of indentures relating to farming sites throughout Kent.

Eventually, it is planned, that the archive will be handed on to Kent Archives; who have expressed an interest in housing it.

As it is impossible to give public access to the material held by the archive, a series of publications are planned in order to disseminate as much information as possible. In the light of the fire at Ramsgate Library, It is felt that the best way of ensurring the survival of
information, is to publish it.

Ed. The other day I posted about a new book, about Thanet farms, I have now received some sample pages and pictures and the above explanation about what they are doing.

Click here for the sample pages and pictures

The first local writer to write about Thanet’s agriculture, John Lewis in his History of the Isle of Tenet, published in the early 1700s and now available in a cheap reprint, caused considerable criticism both from some learned historians and local farmers; “Some it seems have thought I have descended too low as to take Notice of Husbandry, and give an account of the manner of Dungmixen…… by others I have been accused…… out of envy at the prosperity of the farmers, and with an ill-natured design to raise their rents. I am wondering if this new venture will cause any such excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.