Saturday 4 October 2008

Folkestone and Its Neighbourhood

I am just completing a reprint of the book A Descriptive and Historical Account of Folkestone and Its Neighbourhood , with Gleanings from the Municipal Records by S J Mackie.

I have used the 1883 edition which has Gleanings from the Municipal Records added.

I have published the first 100 pages on the web click here to read them

I haven’t had a chance to read the book yet and am not really certain how significant it is, in terms of Folkestone’s history, so any help on that would be appreciated, as I should really write some sort of introduction to it.

Many thanks to Martin Easdown, author of several books that I publish, who provided the cover illustrations.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much for posting pages from this book. Is page 55 missing? I was interested in more information on why the jurats were removed from office and were replaced.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.