Monday 15 December 2008

The Big Christmas Cliftonville event

Thanet district Council press release
A community event has been held in Cliftonville to bring people together and encourage people to shop locally in the run-up to Christmas.

The event, held on Saturday (6 December), was organised by the Cliftonville Partnership’s Community Development Support Worker, Pamela Pople, who is funded by the Safer Stronger Communities Fund (SSCF). Its aim was to promote businesses in Northdown Road and provide a community event for everyone to enjoy.

A range of different activities were put on during the day, including Santa’s grotto and his elves at the Belle Vue pub, with face painting and activities for children provided by the Cliftonville Children’s Centre. Traditional carols were provided by the Holy Trinity and St. John’s Church of England Primary School, with performances by the Thanet Concert Brass Band and a DJ Workshop provided by Pie Factory Music at Cash Maker. The St. John’s Street Dance Group, made up of 18 teenagers, made their first public performance during the event and street theatre was provided in the afternoon by the Starose Theatre Company.

An arts and crafts stall was organised by the St. Paul’s Community Centre and Kent Refugee Minority Support Group, with entertainment from Kidzone Singing Group. Christmas stalls were also organised by Mencap, Sue Ryder and the Pilgrims’ Hospice Shop.

Pamela said: “The Cliftonville Partnership organised the Christmas Community Event for Northdown Road to bring a bit of festive cheer to the community and to support local businesses in the lead up to Christmas. We wanted to raise spirits at this difficult time and I am very grateful to everyone who contributed to this event. It was a great example of the community coming together.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.