Wednesday 21 January 2009

Clean Sweep in Millmead and Dane Valley

Thanet district Council press release

Operation Clean Sweep is moving into new parts of Thanet today (Monday 19 January) to tackle anti-social issues in Millmead and Dane Valley.

The Thanet District Council led operation involves officers from Kent Police, Kent Fire and Rescue Service and the UK Border Agency, who will be looking at a range of problems in each of the areas and will run until Friday 23 January.

The latest crackdown will focus on checking for any damage to council housing in the area and looking at housing conditions in the private sector. Officers will also be looking at the use of buildings and seeing whether commercial properties have the licences they require, with officers from the UK Border Agency checking for illegal immigrants. Clean up squads will be deployed to tackle dumped rubbish and graffiti, with the help of volunteers from Pipeline.

This is the sixth time the operation has run, with the most recent one in central Margate in November 2008 identifying planning issues, unlicensed Houses in Multiple Occupation and suspected illegal immigrants.

Cllr. Shirley Tomlinson, Cabinet Member for Commercial and Environmental Services, said: “Operation Clean Sweep is gradually spreading out to tackle problems in different parts of Thanet, with Millmead and Dane Valley the latest areas to now be targeted. It continues to deliver some excellent results and people can expect to see the operations continuing throughout 2009, with new areas being tackled and a return to some of the areas that have been previously targeted.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.