Friday 9 January 2009

SSCF money for safer school

Thanet district Council press release

Students at a local school now feel safer, thanks to money from the Safer Stronger Communities Fund (SSCF) and Kent Police.

The joint funding has paid for a Police Community Support Officer, John Christian, at Hartsdown Technology College. He works full-time at the college, teaching lessons on law and order and anti-social behaviour and helping to break down barriers between the community and the police. His work also includes integrating new students into the school, family mediation and helping with community events at the school.

John is also part of the college’s Restorative Justice Group, a group which looks at the effects on the victim of someone’s actions and works on this, rather than simply excluding a student. The aim is to get the perpetrator to take responsibility for their actions.

He is also helping with a bid for Safer Schools Accreditation for Hartsdown, which will give the college recognition for its anti-bullying work.

Annette McKnight, Assistant Principal/Extended Schools, said: “At Hartsdown we want the college to be used as a resource for the whole community and we work closely with our partners to embrace everybody. John Christian provides a key role in this. John is very much the friendly face of law and order, building relationships with students and adults, both parents and those in the community.”

SSCF Programme Board member Councilor John Watkins, said: “I am really pleased that SSCF has been able to support this post. I feel it is one of the most worthwhile use of our funds as it so important to improve the relationship between the Police and the community so we can work together to make Thanet an even safer place to live.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.