Wednesday 11 February 2009

£1 MILLION FROM THANET WORKS

Thanet district Council press release

Around £1 million of funding is being made available from today (Tuesday 10 February) to help get people across Thanet into work through the new Thanet Works programme.

Funded by a total of £4 million of government funding through the Working Neighbourhoods Fund, Thanet Works is aiming to get people off benefits and into work and is looking for innovative ideas from organisations to tackle the problems that some people face in getting into work and to improve low skill levels.

Thanet is the only part of Kent to qualify for the funding, which runs until April 2011. It is aimed at helping those in school, but at risk of not achieving, those of school leaving age, those on out of work benefits and those in employment, but with no qualifications or low skill levels.

The new bidding process will be open to organisations only, with individuals not eligible to apply. Successful applications will need to demonstrate an innovative idea or approach, which will help the target groups either through removing barriers to work, improving skills or employability or creating new job opportunities. Bids which are for projects lasting more than a year will need to demonstrate results by March 2010.

Cllr. Jo Gideon, Chairman of the Thanet Works Board, said: “I know that people have been eagerly awaiting the launch of Thanet Works, especially in the current economic climate. It’s been important to get everything in place before inviting the first set of bids for the first £1 million that we’re allocating. We want to ensure that when it comes to allocating the money, it’s being spent wisely, rather than making quick decisions.

“It’s very difficult to give specific ideas of the type of projects we’re looking for, as we want to see innovative ideas that can produce quick results over the next 12 months and help get people into work. We’re hoping to get some ideas which will be really successful, so that we can then build on for the following years of the Thanet Works programme. As the chairman of the Thanet Works board, I know I can speak for my colleagues when I say that we’re looking forward to some truly new and exciting ideas from organisations in the public, private, voluntary and community sector.”

For an application pack or to find out more, visit www.thanet.gov.uk/thanetworks or call 01843 577232. Bids have to be submitted by 5pm on Friday 3 April.

Thanet Works involves a number of organisations from the business and public sector, including Thanet District Council, Jobcentre Plus, Kent County Council, Thanet and East Kent Chamber of Commerce and the Learning and Skills Council.
Ed. picture Grange Road Mill I think

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.