Friday 17 April 2009

A Levels GCSEs and how to improve secondary education in the UK

Talking to the youth of today about the standards in various local schools and the varied quality of teaching combined with the political adjustment of exams and exam results, we think we have come up with a solution to much of the problem.

Our suggestion is that the teachers should sit the exams with their pupils, this has a several advantages.

It would make the teachers much better at teaching the pupils to pass exams. Being taught say A level physics by a teacher who last sat an a level physics exam 35 years ago is much akin to being taught to drive by someone who last drove a car 35 years ago.

The examiner would be aware of a situation where the teacher didn’t know their subject properly and could make some sort of allowance.

It would be very difficult for the government to rig the exams, either to make the education system seem better then it is or to reduce university entrance for fiscal reasons.

I also suspect any really bad teachers would leave or improve very quickly.

1 comment:

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.