Wednesday 6 May 2009

Fair tips and fair wages for all

Stephen Ladyman Press Release

Pat McFadden MP, Labour's Business Minister, today announced that from this October it will no longer be legal to use customers' tips to make up the minimum wage and that any tips left for staff will be in addition to basic pay.


Pat McFadden said:

"When people leave a tip in a restaurant they expect it to be in addition to the staff's basic pay, not to be used to make up the minimum wage. We said last year we would look at this issue and today we have confirmed that from October, we are changing the rules to ensure that when people leave a tip for staff they can be sure it will not go towards making up the minimum wage. It means a fair deal for staff and for employers.

"This is another step towards Labour's vision of a fair future for all, where people receive fair pay for their hard work.

"David Cameron campaigned against the introduction of the National Minimum Wage which has given employees a decent level of pay. His opposition to the support that the Government is giving people during the recession shows that he is still out of touch."

Stephen Ladyman MP said:

“This is great news for people who work in the hospitality trade in Thanet and Dover. Thorley Taverns and the Dog and Duck at Pluck’s Gutter have already signed up to the Fair Tips Charter. Now all the restaurants and pubs in South Thanet are going to have to come into line.”
Ed. I found the editors notes on this one interesting click here for them.

2 comments:

  1. I find it ridiculous that people under the age of 21 still get a lower rate of pay than older people. If they're doing the same work then they should get the same wages!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter for the last about 35 years I have been employing A level school pupils as Saturday people in the various bookshops that I have had and I have always had an age related pay scale.

    The people who have worked for me in this way pretty much all say they have found the work experience highly beneficial to them and without paying them less than adults I wouldn’t have been able to afford to employ them at all.

    Frankly school children do not need as much money as adults but benefit greatly from a work environment.

    I can honestly say that I never came across one who thought the arrangement unfair or that didn’t look forward to their pay rising on their birthdays.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.