Wednesday 20 May 2009

Thanet Tories call for General Election

Laura Sandys press release

Give the people their say to restore trust in Parliament

Sign petition to call for an election

Roger Gale and Laura Sandys are calling for Parliament to be dissolved and for a general election to be held and are asking people of all political persuasions to support a petition that urges Gordon Brown to dissolve Parliament and give the electorate a say immediately about the future of their elected representatives.

“This call for an election is not a partisan request. It is about restoring the trust and dignity that the Mother of all Parliament’s must recapture and it is only through a general election that Parliament will be able to address the significant troubles that our democracy and country face with the confidence of the people,” says South Thanet`s Conservative, Laura Sandys . "I was a member of the Democracy Taskforce set up by David Cameron over two years ago that reported that we needed wholesale change in the system ages ago."

“This is not about party politics – this is about our British Democracy. This current Parliament no longer has the confidence of the public. We need to put every sitting MP and our records to the people,” says North Thanet`s MP, Roger Gale.
David Cameron has said “This political crisis has been caused by the politicians, so I don't think the politicians alone can solve it. The public have got to be involved.”

The Petition states that …

We, the undersigned, believe that the best way to sort out the problems facing Britain and to restore trust in our political system is for a dissolution of Parliament and a general election so that people can pass their verdict on MPs’ behaviour at the ballot box.

Please go to



petition or sign it locally on


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.