Wednesday 5 August 2009

A few hundred pictures of Ramsgate thaken this morning and the traditional English seaside coffee ceremony.


I tried to do what I did in Margate yesterday wander round the main part of the town centre and the seafront taking snaps, I was about 10 mins later starting at 6.40 and I am afraid when I got to the Belgium Bar I succumbed to a cup of coffee at 7.35.

You have to appreciate they import, roast and grind their own coffee beans, I am afraid sitting chatting to a few people also having their coffee it was 8.10 when I got going again.

So yes I did finish later, I say in my own defence that had I found a decent coffee in a pleasant part of Margate yesterday at around that time, the same would have happened.

The pictures are published in chronological order and I have marked 8.30 the time I left Margate yesterday.

I thought today would be the fairest on Margate as our part of the town centre where I started has its residential rubbish collection this morning so always looks at its worst.

As far as the empty shops in Ramsgate go they are fast running out, I will explain more about this later in the day when I add to this post.

What I am most interested in here is trying to discover why Ramsgate is improving so rapidly while businesses in Margate seem to be closing at such an alarming rate.

My bookshop is right on the edge of Ramsgate town centre i.e. the worst part of the town from a trading point of view, I have spent most of the last two years trading with the large shop next door now Costcutter, empty, the shop on the other side of me was empty for about 10 years until fairly recently, as you can see from the pictures this is no longer the case and I wonder why.
Click on the links to look at the pictures I will try and get round to deleting the worst ones.

http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/blogpicts5/

http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/blogpicts5/id3.htm

http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/blogpicts5/id4.htm

http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/blogpicts5/id5.htm

http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/blogpicts5/id6.htm

As usual the pictures were pasted directly into an automatic web-publishing program, Trellix web, manufactured in 2000 it is now rather dated software, but at least I know roughly how to use it, the whole publishing exercise took me less than 5 mins.

The camera used was the same one as yesterday a Ricoh Caplio GX manufactured in 2004, it is now a rather dated piece of equipment, but at least I know what most of the buttons on it do.
The things I find most useful about this particular camera is that it is very small so it fits in the pocket and it looks pretty innocuous, more like an old 35mm compact bought from the charity shop than a digital camera.
Some info about some of the closed shops that I have gleaned recently click on the link to view http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/blogpicts5/id8.htm

1 comment:

  1. Maybe Ramsgate's on the up because, since January 2006, it's been known as 'the Millionaires' Playground'. Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.