Monday 7 September 2009

Reflections after a bad weekend

My father who had been very ill for some time died over the weekend so I am just catching up with local matters.

I have updated http://thanetpress.blogspot.com/ and notice one of the new documents listed is, Sep 8 2009 6:00PM, Standards Committee items 11 and12 appear to be so restricted that it is impossible to even find out what they are about.

I noticed the new fast train trial services from London to Ramsgate have started, this weekends brush with our rail services were a bit of non-starter for us.

My father lived in Hampshire and having heard how much worse his illness was, I, my wife and two youngest children decided to go there for the weekend, this is a 400 mile round car trip, about £70 worth of petrol for our large 7 seater family estate car.

The cheapest rail return fair for one adult is £140 so we took the less environmentally friendly route, something that makes me wonder where we are going in terms of the future of the planet.

With the Thanet District Council press releases as all the new ones I had received dated from the end of last week I wasn’t going to bother putting them up, however as Thanet’s Blooming Gardens hasn’t made it even now, mid afternoon on Monday I put them all up.

I went and had a look at the Pleasurama site early this morning, I notice the youf of today are converting it into some sort of stunt park, as the land still belongs to the council perhaps they will be claiming it as a leisure facility.

On a more serious note the cliff façade is still deteriorating badly, I would take a lot of persuading that building right next to this cliff is safe and sensible. However don’t take my word for it here are the pictures taken this morning http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/blogpicts10/id4.htm if you are wondering what happens to structures in front of cliff collapses click on this link http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/collapse/paragon.htm the bent things are steel girders.

I have taken this issue up with TDC and was told not to worry about it as it caused by vegetation growing on bird droppings, in view of the fact a small lilac tree is growing in one of the cracks that have recently appeared in the newly repaired cliff façade I should be interested to see the bird they have in mind particularly in flight.


Further down the pictures I took this morning you can see the tell tale cracks appearing in the road surface above the arches supporting the Marina Esplanade incline road click on the link to view tell tale cracks after the event http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/collapse/id2.htm

8 comments:

  1. Very sorry to hear about your recent loss Michael! You & your family are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your Father, hope you and the family are OK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael my thoughts and prayers are with you and yours XXX Don

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sad news. Warmest wishes to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very sorry to hear of your loss
    michael
    I hope you and your family are ok

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is always a shock even when you are half expecting it. Sad news.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Condolences on your loss Michael. Very sad news.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks to all of you for your condolences, from my own point of view it is a bit of an unreal situation in as much as he lived a long way off and I didn’t see him very often.

    He was the last of the wartime generation in my family and a well known bookseller for over 60 years.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.