Sunday 13 December 2009

Thanet Pubs

A new book out on Monday

This book is a combination four booklets published in the late 1980s, it contains an exact copy of each booklet including the front covers that are black and white on the original booklets.

The page numbering is from the original booklets, if I had changed it to new numbering running through the whole book it could have caused confusion, perhaps I have caused a different type of confusion doing it this way but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

The cover is a bit more quirkiness from me, the back cover shows the second Queens Head in Ramsgate, before it was demolished and the present one rebuilt in 1921. You will notice that at that time what is now harbour parade was a narrow street, opposite the pub is the back of the harbour trustees committee rooms demolished in 1890.
The front cover shows a picture of the Queens Head as it is now, taken by me in some haste this morning, I did my best on rather a dull day, the angles are a bit strange as I had to take it from one side to avoid a car that was in the way and then straighten it out in the computer.

The book or books, depending on how you look at it, have given me considerable enjoyment and I have learnt a great deal about our pubs that I didn't already know.

For me the fact that it was written before the demise of the English public house became seemingly unstoppable, adds to its appeal and makes it an important historical document.

Well that was what I said in the book but frankly I don’t know how to do it justice this link takes you to a few random pages from the 90ish pages in the book http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/thanetpubs/ and click on this link if you want to buy it http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/catalogue/thanet_pubs.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.