Monday 13 September 2010

Some pictures of Margate Museum

Sorry about the lack of replies to comments emails and so on, I have been slightly diverted into considerations about Tudor Margate, the construction of Tudor houses and the like.

It isn’t easy to visualise Margate in Tudor times, bits of information are coalescing, here is an example.
In 1565, it’s easer to quote the Queens Commissioners: “Mergate hath houses 108. Persons lacking proper proper Habitaycyions 8. Boates and other vessels from 1 to 46 tons 10. Persons employed in carrying grain and fishing 60.”
Anyway my mind has temporarily strayed into the history of Margate.
Margate museum also made some sort of impression on me as I hadn’t visited it for some time, hence the pictures of the pictures there

I did distort them a bit to fit in the blog post.
It is also good to hear that despite closing the museums the council has been engaged in a major local history project of its own see http://www.thanet.gov.uk/news/latest-press-releases/crematorium-scanning.aspx?lang=en-gb
Anyway here are the pictures of Margate Museum http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/laptop910a/id9.htm
Also just opposite the museum is a useful café for a cup of tea, featured in the pictures.

2 comments:

  1. Super stuff as always Michael Thanks,Don

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent photographs Michael, I like pictures 3 & 4 from the top,no 3 use to hang in the chairmans office and no4 is a loan return from a few years back.Both pitures I am sure have bumped up TDC's insurance cost up. With the Clint worth £30k, the Webb £100K and these two £20K+ each. TDC's art collection is a national treasure and if the whole lot was displayed altogether in one venue it would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.