Thursday 5 May 2011

Pictures of Northdown Road Cliftonville and Margate High Street

 Back in August 2009 I took a series of pictures of Northdown Road in Margate, below are the links to the pages of pictures I took then.





http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/NorthdownRoad/id9.htm
 Sorry I didn’t do it quite so comprehensively today, I only did the middle bit, these links take you to today’s pictures.



http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/NorthdownRoad2/id4.htm
 My excuse is that last time I did it I did it very early in the morning, I got a certain amount of flack for this as people said taking the pictures when it was pretty much deserted made the situation look worse than it was.

Taking this many pictures in a shopping street during the middle of the day isn’t as easy as you would think.

I also took pictures of Margate High Street today, I think I covered this more comprehensively, here are the links to the High Street pictures.




The main idea of these series of pictures is as some sort of historical record of our towns, the shopping centres in particular, something is happening with our shopping streets that isn’t just as simple as a lot of shops closing.

I notice that Poundland is to open a shop at Westwood Cross and wonder if we will ever see charity shops and estate agents opening there too.

I am of the opinion that mobile internet use is going to have a considerable influence on shopping in a relatively short space of time, a much shorter time than the conventionally viewed internet did. Mainly because most of can use both the internet and mobile phones, so we haven’t really got anything much to learn.  

4 comments:

  1. I see a marked increase in iphones and smart phones I wish I could use one because how good isit to have a computer with you at all times. BT want to hurry up with fibre optic or they will be out dated before eit is rolled out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don I reckon you could, although you may have to get a RaspBerry (pocket PC) should cost about £30, like mine with big keys for Mr Sausage fingers, the unlimited internet on a pay as you phone costs me £20 for six months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael i enjoyed your pictures of the northdown rd,and margate high st.I had some great times on holiday from the age of 12-18.We stayed on Dalby Square,allways walked up the northdown rd from margate.There was a second hand shop where smilys cabs is now ,allways stopped to talk to Bob went back to see him every year.We spent alot of time at Dreamland i understand is under development.There was a great Waffle shop ,Bar majestic ,Bali Hai.Bowlers arms clifftonville.Gone on to much brought back some memories thanks

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.