Tuesday 15 November 2011

Nothing in the World But Youth, some local developments and a bit of a ramble.


I went to The Turner Contemporary on Sunday, again, you are not allowed to take photographs in the main exhibition, “Nothing in the World But Youth” and it was my intention to sketch some of the exhibits but frankly the exhibition is far too busy and there isn’t really anything much to sit on.

There is no criticism of the gallery here, there isn’t anything they can do about the photography rule, there are fare too many exhibits that are still in copyright for them to allow photography and it is too busy for them to put lots of seats in the galleries.

The exhibits all relate to youth, either exhibits by artists when they were young or older artists producing pictures expressing aspects of youth so it does provide inspiration. Above a summery youth related picture from my sketchbook which I hope gives a bit of the feel of what the exhibition is about.


Sorry about the delay here, sometimes one wonders about this country, I have spent most of the day trying to reduce the amount I pay for processing credit cards in my bookshop.

Anyway on to my ramble, I was a bit miffed that the Turner Contemporary only publicised the queen’s visit after it had happened. Saying why not visit Margate last week isn’t entirely helpful to struggling local businesses.

It is reassuring to know that Margate has beaten places like Cambridge to the Great Neighbourhood Award, see http://www.academyofurbanism.org.uk/awards/main_awards_2012.html anyone know what the academy for urbanism is?


I will ramble on as the day continues.  

1 comment:

  1. oh i would think it is an award given by a group of district councils to one of the team

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.