Wednesday 4 July 2012

A Stamp on the Toe for Being so Slow and a Ramble


For those interested here is my Thanet blog chart for last month, i.e. the traffic sources statistics for this blog http://michaelsbookshop.com/laptop712/


This brings me to the vexed question of what to blog about and I guess this rather depends on what you readers are interested in.

Here in Ramsgate one of the largest dental practices has lost its national health status, which means lots of people have lost their dentist, I gather this was done because of some government competition rules, but the problem is the government having done this haven’t provided any alternative dentists.

Also Ramsgate has been named as one of the top ten uk beach resort destinations, see http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/9282875/Jersey-most-popular-for-summer-staycation.html


There is the Royal Sands Development on the Pleasurama site in Ramsgate, this was the subject of the lead article in The Isle of Thanet Gazette last week see http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/Ramsgate-Pleasurama-site-set-redeveloped-3-3m/story-16469934-detail/story.html

Their reporter phoned me on Tuesday just after I had finished the blog post about it, see http://thanetonline.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/he-royal-sands-development-on.html so guessed that there would be another newspaper article.

There are a few disparities in the article the most interesting one being; “So far about 30 per cent of the luxury apartments, priced from £185,000 to £435,000, have been reserved.”

The amount of reserved apartments fluctuates a bit, at the moment it’s fourteen out of 107, which I make about a sixth, rather than about a third. For clarity these are apartments Nos. 2, 5, 6, 12, 19, 33, 41, 63, 64, 67, 91,91, 96 all the rest are available on the internet.

Very hard to tell where the council think they are going with The Royal Sands, or what the developer is trying to achieve.

The closest guess on my part is the council would like to avoid expensive litigation and the developer would like to make a large profit. 

Over in Margate the football club is back with an amended planning application F/TH/12/0433


For those interested here is my Thanet blog chart for last month, i.e. the traffic sources statistics for this blog watching the southeast BBC news today and noting Tunbridge Wells borough council insisting that a proportion of employees on a new development there should be recruited from people living in the area, it occurred to me that if one of the criteria for being a senior council officer at TDC was living in Thanet, it would ensure that the people making the decisions had to live with the results of those decisions. I guess this could be further extended to ward councillors having to be residents in the wards the represented.



Back onto The Royal Sands, this time the cliff wall, over the time I have taken an interest in this structure the council’s engineer and engineering advisors have repeatedly told me that the cliff wall was built to help stop weathering on the chalk.


I have now found out that it was build as a result of a series of huge cliff collapses in 1935 and 1936. These collapses were though to be the result of a prolonged period of wet weather, so evidently weathering comes into it somewhere.  

Bit of an amusing photo going around the book trade at the moment which may appeal to some of you


I will ramble on.   

2 comments:

  1. I see I'm in 3rd place out of the local blogs, a big improvement!

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.