Thursday 6 February 2014

Lunch at The Intolerant Wife in Broadstairs, painting the queen and a ramble.

This was one of the best overall light lunch experiences in Thanet, I had all day breakfast at £5.45 which includes tea or coffee and my wife Marimba Hot Chocolate at £2.75 – she says the best hot chocolate ever and mozzarella panini which she confirmed as excellent. At £11.70 for the two of us it was exceptionally good value and very good quality.











I sketched the view out of the window although didn’t get time to finish.



I am now having a go a painting of the queen, the idea is a freehand watercolour with no pencil lines to guide the brush, as the queen gets older she gets more difficult to get a recognisable likeness, although in a sense she looks a lot like the queen mother used to look, there is also a sense in which she looks more like many other old women apart from her eyes. Anyway the approach here was to try and nail her eyes and then produce the effect of her makeup by mixing a lot of chinese white with a very little rose madder and a very little yellow ochre. I also wanted to make her look the small woman that she is with the presence that she has. I will have some more attempts it is as they say a tricky one.

We did the Broadstairs charity shops for bookshop stock today, in most cases there isn’t much in the charity shops that we would buy for stock and in about half the cases when we do want to buy something it is either as much or more expensive than we would sell it for. At the moment there seem to more copies of Fifty Shades of Grey in the system than anyone could possibly want, it may be the prices which seem to vary between 50p and £2.50 but I think it is just a case of too many in system at any price.


We mostly bought Ladybird Books and early editions of Noddy Books although some classics today.

Looking at the books we bought today I think it fair to say that there was an element of my profiting from the politically incorrect. 

When I went out for my walk this morning I noticed that one of the containers on the derelict Pleasurama site has been left open again, as this is a safety hazard because children often lay on the site I will endeavour to report it to Cardy’s, if anyone else could do this as well I would appreciate it as I had a lot of difficulty getting them to secure it last time they left it open.    

Looking at the Manston Green planning application I was struck that I had never seen so many maps of Manston which omitted the runway.  
I suppose the nimbys who are opposed to housing will be objecting to the application while the nimbys who are opposed to the airport will be supporting the application as it would obviously add to the flying restriction allowed there.

As I am both supportive of a quality local airport and of the building of quality modern accommodation I am a bit uncertain about how to react to this one.


12 comments:

  1. Your all day breakfast looked good I tend not to eat out anymore as the wheelchair means not being able to get in a place I can be comfortable. Am I the only person who has not read Fifty Shades? I doubt Cardy want to know anything about Ramsgate let alone the site I bet they have egg on their face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There have been Cardy men in the site for the past 3 days so I suspect they left it open

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully there will be a shop or two included in the Manston plans. Since the post office anf general store closed some years ago there's been no shops within reasonable walking distance of the village.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I'm at it, why on earth doesn't someone open a micro pub in Acol? Business would be almost guaranteed there.

      Delete
  4. Many thanks, we are so glad you enjoyed your lunch with us. May I ask you also post something on Trip Advisor?? Also, for Don Wood, regarding wheelchair access. I have good news and bad news. The bad news, is that the geography of the place means there are no toilet facilities for those in wheelchairs. The good news, is - that apart - you will be very welcome. The eating area is on one level and we regularly have disabled people in our place - either remaining in their chairs or opting to sit in one of ours. I hope this means Don will soon have the same positive experience as you!

    Many thanks once again; best wishes
    Seth aka The Tolerant Husband

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whereabouts in Broadstairs is this place? May well check it out myself.

      Delete
    2. Peter pretty much opposite Iceland and Tesco.

      Seth I will do Tripadvisor eventually, there are about ten reviews that I should do but haven’t got around to yet.

      Delete
  5. The grub looks good! I'll give it the ECR mystery taste test in the next week or two. For the sweet-toothed, I can also recommend the recently opened Harbour Chocolate Lounge in the Military Road arches here in the Millionaires' Playground - chocaholic heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't class myself as a nimby but I do wonder where these people that are going to occupy the 800 houses are coming from. There aren't 800 homeless families in Thanet (as far as I know) and there certainly are not enough job vacancies to employ people from 800 houses locally.

    Is this simply a new "Newington" or an extension of the same ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Talking of food, both the loca l bloggersphere and local cllrs have been very quite on the news that Thanet has a higher rate of obesity than anywhere else in East Kent... This is despite it being one of the best areas for walking and cycling (go to Isle of Sheppey to find out how cycle and pedestrian unfriendly much of it is).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought you were introducing your wife's name Michael. I can see now it was the brand of Hot chocolate

    ReplyDelete
  9. i dont class myself as a nimby, as such, i have no problem with moving forward, newness, development. my only problems are the fact the 1 aquafer is not enough to supply and drain all these new abodes, the greenland will be needed when we once again become an island. thats my theory, mother nature is saying its gonna be this way!
    food looked nice but still not my price range, which is probably why im not like ECR playing with the millions club! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.