Sunday 30 March 2014

The Turner Contemporary Margate and photographing the ghost of Edmund De Waal

A first attempt at a review of Atmosphere the new exhibition at The Turner Contemporary Margate by Edmund De Waal.

I hope you can see the whiteness, the ghost, whatever it is in the middle of this photograph, it is was flickering (wrong word) frisson is the wrong word too, but then the right word would obviate the point of visual expression.

Edmund De Waal, apart from being the heir with the amber eyes who wrote The Hare With Amber Eyes: A Hidden Inheritance, he is renowned for whiteness and or pots.


Edmund De Waal looks a bit like this sketch.

I enjoyed his book very much, his recent pots, like a lot of contemporary art I don’t understand, whiteness, on the other hand; it’s four fingers and a thumb isn’t it.

Anyway it was the whiteness I went looking for.


Here is the link to the rest of the photos https://plus.google.com/photos/103118335852639233427/albums/5996668227669516321?banner=pwa I didn’t take a decent camera as I thought it would be tempting fate and that photography would be banned, but it wasn’t, so these are only mobile phone snaps.

In a sense I was, or thought I was, photographing something that perhaps wasn’t there, my hope is that some people will also be able to see it in some of the photos, or better still go and have a look at the exhibition. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.