Sunday 5 April 2015

Powell Cotton Museum at Quex in Thanet, probably the most child friendly museum in the UK with the gardens where Atlanta and Hippomenes have been restored to their former glory.

Well here they are, all cleaned up and restored, presumably just before they upset Mother Earth and got turned into lions. They are pouring in the water at the moment.



Ovid’s description of Atlanta "Nec dicere posses, laude pedum formaene bono praestantior esset." Which means “no one is able to say whether she was should get more excellent praise for her foot or for her more outstanding beauty” is a bit strange, perhaps he was a podiatrist.
One great improvement to the museum is that they now allow you to take photographs inside.

But the best recent improvement is the new hands on experience.
 You can put stuff under the microscope
 or even the more powerful digital microscope



 you don't really need to go from Narnia in the wrdrobe

 plenty of games to play



 draws of skulls




 shoes to try on

 pencils
paper

A few photos of the rest of the museum next










I mostly sat outside and sketched
I didn't get time to colour this one in but I think it was going better than the one I did last August below
A few more pictures of the gardens next



We had an excellent day out there today.

Anyway if you are in East Kent and wondering what to do for the day here is their website http://www.quexpark.co.uk/  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.