Sunday 5 July 2015

Painting in the rain and a bit of a ramble


A bit more progress with the painting of Ramsgate, for those following how I am getting on.
here is an old view from roughly the same place, I am guessing in about 1860 and as you see it's pretty much all changed 


I had to dive under cover when the rain started.


We went to Canterbury today and as I failed my shopping exam I tried to sketch The West Gate from weatherspoon’s, as you see it didn’t go well. 


The issue with freehand drawing with a pen is that if it doesn’t go fairly right the first time there isn’t much you can do about it. I guess when the tower that is further away appears to be larger than the one that is closer and you know they are both about the same size then you have a big problem.

Of course the picture at the top of the post has both painting and drawing errors, the learning curve is a steep one and I am still fairly near the bottom, but I think the towers wasn't worth trying to finish.

Back to Canterbury, what a place to put a bin   


perhaps because of the mess made by the bears


 or El Cid

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.