Tuesday 17 May 2016

Ramsgate in 1809

So what did you do in Ramsgate 200 years ago? The battle of Trafalgar was in 1805 and the battle of Waterloo which finished the Napoleonic wars in 1815 to help you place when you are.

Ramsgate was a town where young gentlemen came and were trained to become officers and of course where ladies came in search of young gentlemen that would marry their young ladies. 

All of this provided employment opportunities for the working classes so they came too.  

Simplistic perhaps, but it may help to put you in some sort of frame of mind to grapple with the Ramsgate pages to the Thanet guidebook I publish for that year’ you can buy the whole thing online by clicking on this link http://michaelsbookshop.com/catalogue/id322.htm or come and look at in my bookshop if you live locally.


How did people really behave, probably very like they do today, some well some badly, after all if you read a modern guidebook it doesn’t give you much idea of life today.

Anyway here are the pages from the guidebook.  















And here the books we put out on the shelves in my bookshop today http://michaelsbookshop.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/another-selection-of-bygone-kents-in.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.