Wednesday 13 July 2016

Who’s Who and What’s What Broadstairs and St Peter’s in 1839

I imagine that those of you who use my bookshop will know I publish cheap reprints of directories to the Thanet towns for various dates. The main reason for this is helping people with seat of the pants local history right down to the person or the building.

They provide the answer to where did granny, great granny or even great great granny live and the answer to who lived in my house a hundred years ago. I also have these for sale on bookshop website at http://michaelsbookshop.com/catalogue/the_isle_of_thanet.htm

The earliest Broadstairs directory that I know of is Pigot and Co.’s published in September of 1839, I should point out here that house numbering before 1900 changed quite a bit as the town expanded and the rating officer renumbered a longer street, so if you find an address in this directory you would need to look at the directories that I publish for 1849, 1878 and 1887 to be found in the book 3 Victorian Directories for Broadstairs and St.Peters, you can come and looka or by it in my bookshopbut not tomorow as i am closed thurdays or you can buy it online at http://michaelsbookshop.com/catalogue/id317.htm and compare with the 1900 one, otherwise you will probably be venerating the wrong building.



Only the select got into directories at that time, the ordinary people didn’t – probably couldn’t read and didn’t care. So the directory is very short, here it is, you may need to click on the pictures of the pages to make them big enough to read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.