Monday 19 September 2016

Dear Ethel – more Thanet postcards with the writing on the back and a minor ramble

















New petrol station opening in Queen Street where the old one was, Hasmas or was it Hazmaz – well something like that years ago, you will note from the photo (click on it frantically to expand) that it has Texaco signs and Jet pumps, so someone messed up and one or the other will have to go.

The Pleasurama fiasco goes on in rather the same way, see http://www.kentlive.news/mp-craig-mackinlay-demands-urgent-inquiry-into-thanet-council-s-handling-of-ramsgate-pleasurama-deal/story-29729886-detail/story.html I guess the problem with this one is that it isn’t retribution we need so much as a solution.

My opinion is that until the basic site infrastructure is assessed, particularly ascertaining the distance needed between the cliff face and the development and the flood risk, very little will happen. I have always felt that any developer wishing to proceed with a building on a high-risk flood zone without a flood risk assessment should be viewed with suspicion.

The new IOTG site http://www.kentlive.news/thanet and the competing site http://www.kentonline.co.uk/thanet used in conjunction with it seems to get us to most of the local news stories.

Work in the bookshop seems to be calming down a bit and I managed to proof read a sizable chunk of a new local book today.

We also have a new Broadstairs book out http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/catalogue/breezin__down_to_broadstairs.htm which is worth looking at when you are in the bookshop here in Ramsgate.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.