Saturday 3 September 2016

Painting people in Canterbury, the scary side of en plein air


More progress with my watercolour from Chocolate Café in Canterbury today, The Half Crown is for scale although the sheet of paper is just under A4 which may be easier for most people 


It isn’t really possible have one reference picture as you would with a building because people move about, but I hope this one gives you some idea.




Funny sort of day really drove to Canterbury, arrived at Chocolate Café just after 8, the sun was on the table then which made it easy to put the little bit of sky in because of the fast drying of the bits round it.

You can’t get toast and marmalade, so I had toast and jam and tried not to think of 9½ weeks, did sky and surrounding bits – said something stupid to the waitress, I always seem to say something stupid to someone after concentrating on painting, fortunately the staff there are used to this.

Drove to Herne Bay to buy some books. Bought some books for my bookshop.

Drove back to Canterbury, visited the Canterbury bookshops where I bought some books for my bookshop.


Went back to Chocolate Café, sat in the window next to the pavement and painted the people sitting at seats on the pavement directly in front of me, I got some reasonable likenesses, but doing this certainly takes some nerve.    





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.