Friday 30 September 2016

Some Thoughts on Local Pictures.


This is a print of Ramsgate I bought in Canterbury yesterday, it says on the packet C. 1875 which would relate to date of the book it was taken from. Most of the small Victorian coloured prints started out in Victorian books as black and white pictures and were take out of the books, had coloured with watercolour and put in frames. I think the colour on this one is fairly recent, partly because all of the slate roofs are rendered red and the bathing machine hoods coloured.


Anyway I think circa 1870 showing the trains going beyond Augusta Stairs, the inclined Marina Road without the arches, this may have been wishful thinking as although several attempts at an inclined road were made before the arched viaduct, I am not certain that any were successful.

Of course the artist could have gone out in a boat and sketched the view “from the sea” however I doubt it, so as it is I would guess the artist made a few different sketches and combined them, or copied sketches done by someone else.

Of course back in the day, n0 photographs


This is Pegwell Bay, Kent - a Recollection of October 5th 1858 by William Dyce, one of the most famous local paintings, but to me it does look a tad Monty Python



Here however is the watercolour Pegwell Bay by William Dyce, 1857 which explains something or another.


We did do some work in the bookshop today honest guv, here it is http://michaelsbookshop.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/wood-engravings-in-bookshop.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.