Tuesday 22 November 2016

The petrified haystack of Ramsgate

The local adults reading this will probably know what Charles Dickens said about Holy Trinity Church in Broadstairs, but for any children reading this it was "we have a church, a hideous temple of flint, like a petrified haystack." This was in around 1850 and I think Dickens wasn’t too keen on the napped flint, the church dates from about 1820 so would have been a modern building. I guess a bit like the people who say Turner Contemporary a shed.

Well now Ramsgate’s Pav looks like a petrified haystack, hideous though? I’m not quite sure, more of a photo opportunity I can’t think anyone would want to look at the rest of the photos on my phone taken when I went out this morning but here’s the link https://goo.gl/photos/L7EMnFDpqMhu17Wf6


Here is the link to the books that went out in my bookshop today for the dedicated followers of fiction http://michaelsbookshop.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/reading-in-dark-in-bookshop.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.