Friday 24 February 2017

Would you recognise Ramsgate when you got there and a Friday ramble.

This recognising caper is something that isn’t as easy as you would expect
This is looking up Ramsgate High Street in 1917 from the middle of the town centre where Harbour, Queen King and High Streets meet.




 Knowing what’s supposed to be there isn’t much help either, we publish a street directory for 1915 http://michaelsbookshop.com/catalogue/id329.htm you could of course come into my bookshop and try to work it all out, however I have just taken one of the shelf and taken photos of the High Street pages.


even much later this is York Street in 1994, it isn't easy.


 the seafront is easier
 even when the picture was taken over 100 years ago
 and of course it helps when it says what it is on the front

 This is one of the boating lake on Ramsgate's Westcliff if you wondered

 I do wonder how many get away because they don't say Ramsgate on them.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.