Thursday 16 March 2017

Ramsgate all Change Railways in the News at Ramsgate and the confessions of an occasional dauber.

One factor with local history is that things tend to be related, so if you find something on the internet, by or browse local books – what’s the phrase? One thing leads to another – or at least one book, post or map enhances the other. So I have no reservations about putting in the link to map of Thanet I published the other day, to help people understand this post. Here it is http://michaelsbookshop.com/blogpicts3/9ac32c40.jpg

I recommend coming into my bookshop in Ramsgate and having a browse of “Ramsgate all Change Railways in the News at Ramsgate” if you can’t here is the link to buy it online http://michaelsbookshop.com/catalogue/ramsgate_all_change.htm

Here are some pictures from it 










and an 1830 map of East Kent i.e. before the railways came.


I have been out and about buying books as my bookshop is closed on Thursdays, id manage so skive off for a bit and do a bit more to my to my


Watercolour painting inside Canterbury Cathedral, it really is a case of spot the difference with this one as I only painted for a short time.


Some problems and questions relating to this one, looking down the left bit of the painting there is now some scaffolding in the way of part of it that wasn’t there when I started the painting, so do I try and mock up finishing what I can’t see or do I try and paint the scaffold in instead, over the top? Another is the painting reminds of someone else’s style but I can’t think who, any ideas? And the last one is the Thanet question. So the idea with this painting was to paint something that you couldn’t really photograph, here is the link so me trying some panoramas of what I can see from where I am painting it https://goo.gl/photos/k1SUfB8oBcRBH5T19 so the question is. Can anyone think of any views in Thanet that I could paint that would be pretty much impossible to photograph?

and her are the books that have just gone out in the bookshop http://michaelsbookshop.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/cakes-in-bookshop.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.