Saturday 8 April 2017

What where Thanet photos for the weekend and The Crown in York Street Ramsgate ready to reopen

Today’s local photos to puzzle over, some are harder than others and I will identify any that readers can’t after the weekend.








As you see from the photo The Crown, sometime Inn, Hotel and even Jackson’s Wharf  is ready for the off.



As you see from the other photo of York Street in 1994 things there got into a bit of a state, I can’t find any historic photos of The Crown Hotel or Inn, the book “Old Ramsgate Pubs” which we do have in the shop should you want to browse it says it dates from around 1717 and once had a reputation for being rowdy,


Thanet Pubs, vide http://michaelsbookshop.com/catalogue/thanet_pubs.htm has a sketch and says. One of the town’s oldest pubs, in one of the town’s oldest streets. York Street was built in around 1700 when it was called New End. This Whitbread house appears in the first rate book dated 1717. It was owned by Cobb as early as 1818. in that year the Ramsgate magistrates urged Francis Cobb to control the outrageous conduct of his tenant at the “Old Crown” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.