Wednesday 17 May 2017

Map of Ramsgate in 1849, Bucket and Spade run 2010 and some thoughts on internet publishing of pictures

If you click on the map it should get very much bigger

There is no buy it now button for the printed version of this one, it’s about a square yard of paper map rolled up and put in a tube which you can buy in my bookshop in Ramsgate for £9.99. I print this with an HP printer using the proper HP ink on HP paper, it does fade, but very reluctantly. You can of course try and print it out yourself but I think it would probably cost more in ink cartridges.

If you have been following this blog you may know that I have been playing about with internet publishing over the last few days, publishing loads of pictures and occasionally even putting links here and on Facebook so people can access them.

It’s all part of reviewing how I use the internet both for my bookshop business and my interests, local history, paining watercolours, taking pictures type of kidney.

Now when you write a website it’s just a code that you gentle viewer never see, you browser decodes it and decides what you see. As the novelist David Lodge makes one of his characters say “Every decoding is another encoding” or something like that. Look it up if you want it exactly.

So this is a way of – perhaps letting you view a very large map on very small lumps like mobile phones, please let me know if it doesn’t work for you.

Next one of my Facebook posts today for any blog readers who missed it next.

Were you at The Ramsgate Bucket and Spade Run in 2010? See if you can spot yourself in the crowd.
I’ve just repaired and republished the website of pictures we took of it, hundreds of them as my youngest children were the eight and liked not only to see the pictures of the event afterwards but to take pictures themselves.
Do feel free to use the pictures, add them to Facebook comments if you find yourself in a picture, you can download and upload them but the ITC cheat is to copy the image address and paste it into your comment, left clicking on a pc or holding finger on the picture with phone or tablet is the way to go with this.
Here are the links to the pictures.
http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/bs2010/id9.htm no idea why the first few are so small
Eight year olds views of the bucket and spade run http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/bs2010/id10.htm
http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/bs2010/id11.htm

On the bookshop front we have now configured the general fiction part of the website and are working on science fiction, here is the link http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/fiction/   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.