Thursday 20 July 2017

Folkestone today, Chocolate Café a bit of a ramble some pictures

One aspect of secondhand bookselling having a bookshop and publishing books about East Kent is that I visit most of the other secondhand bookshops in the area. I collect books, so I buy books for myself, I buy books for my bookshop and I buy copies of out of print and out of copyright books about East Kent to copy and reprint.

Having children who like shopping towns and the school holidays having started, I pretty much let them choose where they want to go and as I am allergic to shoppin, apart from bookshops where I engage in an activity called browsing which is different, I spend most of the day sketching in cafés, receiving whatsapp messages containing pictures of wonderful clothes and shoes.

It is surprisingly difficult to find cafés with the right ingredients for sketching, which is some sort of view, drinkable tea, the tea I like is called Yorkshire Tea (for the most part English Breakfast tea often seems to be the cheapest one at the cash and carry and is probably mined from the European Tea Mountain) Yorkshire men, sorry people mine the best tea and put it into teabags, conformable chairs, table service, air con, the sun behind me… As you see I don’t want much.


For lunch though we will all put ourselves out for a decent Italian pizza and Follies in Folkestone have a pizza and drink for a fiver deal on Thursdays which is an added attraction.



I sketch the décor in here and the pizza sets me up for Marrins Bookshop which is almost next door.

I like the creative quarter in the Old High Street and so had a good look at the art in the galleries there and a pot of tea Yorkshire outside at Big Boys Fine Burger Co, the have a sort of canopy thing and a cool breeze come up the hill.


The sketch went a bit wrong, but there you go.

Some particularly good pictures at Liford Gallery, Lora Zombie who I think is a grunge artist stole the show for me.

How Folkestone has managed to retain a reasonable shopping centre I think boils down to not having a Westwood Cross clone.

We were just heading home when we discovered that Eleto Chocolate Café my favourite Canterbury Café has just opened a branch in Folkestone.


Not very long to try out the view from there

The content of the camera card i.e. today's pictures of Folkestone, links



The links to the recent books that gone out in my bookshop






       

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.