Thursday 28 September 2017

King Street Ramsgate in 1970 and the usual day off ramble







This time it’s King Street in Ramsgate from the 1971 street directory, reprinted with kind permission of Kelly’s Directories as part of my local history publishing project. For the very keen here is the link to the buy it now button http://michaelsbookshop.com/catalogue/ramsgate_street_directory_1971.htm

The alternative is to come into the bookshop here in Ramsgate and have a browse of the inside of the directories, this kind of very dense information is usually easiest to digest from paper rather than the screen.

The picture at the top is 67 to 75  in 1903 which by 1971 was the Co Op, the pictures in the post should expand if clicked on.

Just remembered and added this picture from 1968


Folkestone for me today where I bought a few books for the bookshop, a few for myself, sat outside Chocolate Café did a bit of watercolour sketching and various bits of shopping that can no longer be done in the Thanet towns was done.

On the way we stopped of at the The Women's Land Army Museum at Little Farthingloe Farm, (Folkestone Rd, Dover, CT15 7AA) this is a small free museum next to the farm café and restaurant. This is a useful stop off if you have children with you, play ground, woodland trail, decent pot of tea.

Folkestone like Margate is being regenerated with art as a central theme to the regeneration however the big difference is that while Margate has lost its conventional town centre based around chain shops Folkestone hasn’t.

Here are a few phone photos from the day. 














 I seem to have got a bit carried away with Trevor the Tractor








Back to work in the bookshop tomorrow so this is the link to the pictures of the books that went out on the shelves yesterday 




A couple of empty Ramsgate shops have just gone on the market, to be quite honest I never really know what to make of Ramsgate town centre now, in one sense it looks pretty bad, while the café culture on Harbour Parade seems to be doing OK.


Obviously I have a bookshop in King Street and this is a fairly busy shop as bookshops go.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.