Monday 30 October 2017

Looking out of the upstairs window of Albion house around 1905

If you click on this one and expand it you will see it dates from before the current Queens Head was built which was apparently built in 1908. It must be after 1901 because that was when we first got the trams,
It looks like this today

I have put arrows on this detail crop. Green fish market. Blue ice house. Red perhaps Queen's Head or more likely Shipwrights, these both had previous buildings and I think the rebuild may have meant everything moved along a bit. 

The red arrow on this crop from the contemporary photo is pointing at the lion on top of The Queen's Head. 

 This is the front of the old Queen's Head
This is supposed to be in the 1890s

This the 1905 tram accident, not the arches under the road, if you talk to someone in their 90s you will probably find the climbed over the top and played in these

Looking on the back of the postcard right at the top of this post you will see the postmark is 1913, and by 1913 the view had changed really quite a lot, the New Queens Head had been built for a start and I would think the detail looked much more like it does now. I guess the moral here is don't trust the date of the postmark on postcards as this one was obviously old stock hopefully bought at a sale price.


This is the link to the books we put out in the bookshop on Saturday 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.