Monday 9 October 2017

Ramsgate High Street in 1963 and a Ramsgate fishing smack but is it in Ramsgate Harbour?

So is this Ramsgate fishing smack in Ramsgate, I think this could be the outside of the west pier of the harbour, any ideas appreciated.


Here are the pictures of the Ramsgate High Street pages from the street directory for 1963



For those who can’t get to the bookshop to browse the directory to find out things like who lived in their house in 1963, or who lived next door to them in 1963 after a their 1963 High Street shopping here is link to page you can buy it by post from http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/catalogue/ramsgate_street_directory_1963.htm

Another old photo with no date on it, perhaps 1930s

 I think that's the Sun Cafe in the background
and that it's deco style would make it 1930s

Another day in the bookshop, why is it that ordinary technology seems to have as much trouble with Monday mornings as human beings do? Fortunately books always respond in the same way and here is the link to the photos of the ones that went out on the shelves http://michaelsbookshop.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/the-hare-with-amber-eyes-in-bookshop.html

Probably 1940s actually:- From Images of England, Ramsgate and St Laurance, 2nd edition, page 56.
The Eagle Café, situated on the end of the East Pier, c.1939. The Grummant brothers, a firm of local builders, were contracted to build this futuristic building. Alderman W T Smith, Mayor of Ramsgate, officially opened the premises in July 1938..... Total cost £6000.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.