Tuesday 13 February 2018

T S Eliot’s Shelter in 1912? some inevitable Manston content because of this week’s deadline, old postcards


Well is it or isn’t, I just don’t know Margate well enough, did the same shelter last all that time? Or am a looking at the wrong one in the wrong place?

Of course the 1912 postmark on the back only means before 1912, and so before Eliot wrote the poem. But perhaps the closest picture date wise.



 I spent a sizable chunk of today getting the Manston RSP DCO documents into a state that I could just about use to respond to the consultation as responses have to be in by Friday.


Were the airfreight hub to happen in anything like the way the documents suggest then it would be far and away the biggest change to Thanet for decades, so it has to be done, although I would rather be doing other things.

Here is the link to the post in case you missed it earlier  https://thanetonline.blogspot.co.uk/2018/02/manston-rsp-dco-2018-consultation.html

 I think folley rather than fort, is that right?


 This is an oft reproduced and common card but I dont think I have ever seen the back of one with a postmark on it before
What we used to call half term at the moment, so lots of Children's books going out, in the window on the bookshop blog. Perhaps in these days of political correctness I should say many of today's customers were vertically disadvantaged, this is the link

Funny old world but I do encounter a fair amount of strife for promoting the bookshop, as though bookshops were not such a good thing, perhaps. 


2 comments:

  1. That Ramsgate model village view doesn't look right - there's countryside behind rather than buildings or sea and I don't recall any painted backdrops (it looks real anyway).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like it may be a composite picture

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.